Small businesses often overlook the importance of local SEO. Contrary to what some business owners may believe, local SEO is not just for enterprises with multiple physical locations. In fact, any business can benefit from optimizing their website and online presence for local search.
What is local SEO?
Local SEO is the process of optimizing a website for local search results. This includes incorporating local keywords and phrases into website content, metadata, and other elements that influence how your site ranks in local search results. Local SEO also involves building links from high-quality websites that are relevant to your business and industry.
Why is local SEO important?
When it comes to marketing your business, local SEO is becoming increasingly important. Here are three reasons why:
- More and more people are using their smartphones to search for businesses nearby. If you’re not doing local SEO, you’re missing out on a lot of potential customers.
- Google is giving preferential treatment to businesses that have a strong local presence. In other words, if you want to rank high in Google search results, you need to focus on local SEO.
- Local SEO is an effective way to connect with customers who are looking for specific products or services. By targeting your advertising and marketing efforts locally, you can reach more qualified buyers and increase your sales volume.
How do I optimize my website for local SEO?
There are a few things you can do to optimize your website for local SEO. One is to make sure that your website is listed in local directories, such as Google My Business and Yelp. You can also include keywords and phrases related to your business location in your website’s content and titles. Additionally, you can use Google’s free tools, like the Location Changer tool and the Sitelinks Search Box, to help improve your website’s visibility in local search results.
What are the benefits of local SEO?
When it comes to SEO, most business owners think about ranking their website for national or global terms. However, local SEO should be a key focus for any business with a physical location. There are numerous benefits of local SEO, including:
- Increased visibility and traffic. When you rank your site for local terms, you get more visibility and traffic from people who are already in your area or those who are looking for businesses near them.
- Greater customer engagement. People who are looking for businesses near them are often more engaged than those who are browsing websites from afar. In fact, according to Google, 50 percent of mobile users conduct local searches every day.
- Increased conversion rates. Local searchers are more likely to visit your business after discovering it online.
How can I track my local SEO progress?
There are a few great tools you can use to help track your local SEO progress. One is the Google Search Console. It gives you insights into how your website is performing in the search engine results pages (SERPs), including information on impressions, clicks, and average positions for your site and individual pages. You can also see which queries drove the most traffic to your site and which pages received the most clicks.
Another great tool is Moz Local, which offers a free and paid version. The free version allows you to track up to five locations, while the paid version offers unlimited tracking. Moz Local provides data on how well your business is ranking across directories, as well as information on how many people are searching for your business on Google and Bing.
Finally, you can use Awario to track online sentiment around your business name and keywords.