Instagram is expanding its monetization capabilities with a new subscriptions feature that allows creators to earn recurring monthly income.
Instagram Subscriptions is now available in a limited test with a select group of creators.
Followers can subscribe by clicking a “subscribe” button on the creator’s profile.
Those who qualify for the new subscriptions feature have complete control over the monthly cost.
Subscribers who pay the monthly fee receive the following benefits:
- Subscriber Lives: Creators can broadcast livestreams that are only available to subscribers.
- Subscriber Stories: Creators can publish stories that are only available to their subscribers.
- Subscriber Badges: When subscribers leave comments, a badge appears next to their name to let the creator and other users know they’re a dedicated follower.
In an announcement, the company states:
“With Instagram Subscriptions, creators can develop deeper connections with their most engaged followers and grow their recurring monthly income by giving subscribers access to exclusive content and benefits, all within the same platform where they interact with them already.”
Read Is Telegram Better Than WhatsApp? Let’s Find Out the Difference Together.
Who Is Eligible For Instagram Subscriptions?
During the testing period, Instagram Subscriptions are only available to a small number of US creators.
Instagram intends to open up access to more creators in the coming months.
The Instagram Subscriptions test group includes the following creators:
- @alanchikinchow: A TikTok-based content creator who rose to prominence.
- @sedona._: A basketball player who is currently a member of the Oregon Ducks.
- @alizakelly: A bestselling author and celebrity astrologer.
- @kelseylynncook is a model, dancer, and actor.
- @elliottnorris: Makes videos about sustainable recipes, going plastic-free, and other environmental topics.
- @jordanchiles: A gymnastics olympic silver medalist.
- @jackjerry: Instagram model and NCAA gymnastics team member.
- @bunnymichael: Host of the spirituality-focused podcast “XO Higher Self.”
- @donalleniii: Creates innovative visual content, such as Snapchat AR lenses.
- @lonnieiiv: A TikTok sketch artist best known for his creative TikTok sketches.
Instagram, like Facebook Subscriptions, will not collect fees from creators until at least 2023.
In addition to expanding Instagram Subscriptions to more creators in the future, the company hopes to offer accompanying tools that allow creators to connect with their audience directly off-platform.
Need help with our free SEO tools? Try our free Website Reviewer, Online Ping Website Tool, Page Speed Checker.
Learn more from Instagram and read Instagram To Show More Content From People You Don’t Follow.